Screening Criteria - You Must Read Before Applying
Our Application Screening Process
Thank you for considering one of our properties for your future residence. Kerr Properties, Inc. is an Equal Housing Opportunity provider and seeks to process all applications in a fair and consistent manner.
SIGHT UNSEEN: If this box is checked, then Applicant(s) (a) have not viewed the property for which they’re applying, prior to submitting their application, and (b) understand that the property will not be viewed until the
day of move in.
RESERVATION DEPOSITS: Owner /Agent will require Applicant(s) to provide all pet information and renters insurance and to sign Agreement to Execute Rental Agreement, and pay an execution deposit, if Applicant will
not sign and enter into a rental agreement within 72 hours following Owner’s/Agent’s notice to applicant(s) that the applications have been approved. In the event that the “SIGHT UNSEEN” box is checked above, then any
reservation deposit will not be refunded, if Applicant fails to execute a Rental Agreement and take possession of the property, except otherwise stated. If the Agreement to Execute Rental Agreement states the move in
date is on the 14th of the month or prior a pro-rated amount will be due at move in. If the Agreement to Execute Rental Agreement move in date states the move in is on the 15th of the month or after the pro-rated and
next month rent is due at the time of move in.
SCREENING CHARGE: Owner/Agent is charging an application Screening Charge of $55 per applicant. This charge is non-refundable, unless the Owner/Agent does not screen the Applicant.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Select your desired property, complete the application and pay your non-refundable application screening charge. Your application will take approximately 3 business days to process, but may
take longer if the application is incomplete, the provided information is difficult to verify, or there are unanticipated delays. During the screening process, we may use a tenant screening company, credit reports, public
records or criminal records, and we may contact employers, landlords or other references. We may verify your income and your references provided in your application.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: To initiate the application process, we will first require two forms of identification: picture identification plus another form of identification. Acceptable forms of picture identification may include: valid state-issued drivers’ license, identification card, a valid passport or a Tribal ID. Acceptable forms of positive identification, other than picture ID, include a valid social security card, visa or legal alien documentation. The information set forth in such identification will be inserted in the application and will be used to complete the screening process. Anyone over the age of 18 that will be residing in the dwelling will need to fill out an application and be approved by Kerr Properties, Inc. Unless contrary to applicable law, Applicants must be one of the following: (a) at least 18 years of age, (b) married, (c) emancipated, or (d) (in Oregon) a minor possessing the right to contract for necessities, as set forth in ORS 109.697.
WE REQUIRE COMPLETE, ACCURATE AND TRUTHFUL INFORMATION: Each Applicant must submit an application. Incomplete, inaccurate or falsified information will be grounds for denying your application. If we later
discover that you submitted substantially false information regarding a criminal conviction, after you become our tenant, we may terminate your tenancy.
OCCUPANCY POLICY: Occupancy is based on the number of bedrooms in the premises. 2 persons are allowed per bedroom, plus 1 additional occupant. In a designated studio apartment, 2 persons are allowed. Exceptions
may be made to this policy, if the law so requires.
SCREENING CRITERIA: In addition to any other criteria contained herein, the following criteria apply. If you do not meet all of the criteria contained herein, we may deny your application, require a local co-signer (i.e., a
guarantor who resides within Multnomah, Clackamas, or Washington County, Oregon) and/or require an increased security deposit.
- If the combination of your monthly personal debt, utility costs and rent payments exceeds fifty (50) percent of your gross monthly income, before taxes, then we may deny your application or approve your
application subject to procuring a qualified local co-signer (a guarantor, as described above).
- If the combination of your monthly personal debt, utility costs and rent payments exceeds sixty five (65) percent of your gross monthly income, before taxes, then we will deny your application.
- Each Applicant must have twelve months of verifiable employment, if used as a source of income.
- Each Applicant must have a verifiable current and previous address(es) and must have a satisfactory, unbiased rental reference from their current and previous landlords for the past three (3) years.
- All section 8 Applicants must sign a consent form, allowing any applicable housing authority to release the contents of, and information pertaining to, Applicant’s housing file and rental history.
- Any consumer credit report that has been obtained must be satisfactory.
An application may also be denied, for one or more of the following reasons:
- Applicant(s) make any derogatory or offensive comments, and/or act in a threatening, combative, intoxicated or disorderly manner, during any phase of the inspection, meeting or application process.
- A general judgment of restitution (i.e., an eviction) that is less than five (5) years old.
- A pending eviction action that has not yet resulted in a dismissal or judgment in favor of the Applicant, at the time the application is submitted.
- The Applicant has an undisclosed or unpermitted pet.
- Unpaid utility bills or collection accounts.
- An unpaid debt (including, without limitation, an outstanding judgment debt) owing to a prior landlord.
- Information that cannot be verified from unbiased sources, as provided by the Applicant.
- Poor rental history.
- Insufficient income history or employment history.
- A conviction for any crime involving serious injury, kidnapping, death, arson, rape, sex crimes, identity theft, forgery, property damage, drug-related offenses (including, without limitation, sale, manufacture,
delivery or possession with intent to sell), burglary, robbery, any other felony, or any other crime if the conduct for which the Applicant was convicted is of a nature that would adversely affect the property of the
landlord or other tenants or the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises of the residents, the landlord or the landlord’s agents shall be grounds for denial of the Rental Application.
- Any offense that requires the Applicant to register as a sex offender.
- Any arrest that did not result in a conviction, but which was based upon (a) a drug-related crime; (b) a person crime; (c) a sex offense; (d) a crime involving financial fraud, including identity theft and forgery; or (e)
any other crime if the conduct for which the Applicant was convicted or charged is of a nature that would adversely affect: (i) property of the landlord or a tenant; or (ii) The health, safety or right to peaceful
enjoyment of the premises of residents, the landlord or the landlord’s agent.
APPLICATION EVALUATION PROCESS:
Application evaluations are treated in a consistent, objective manner and are based on real and statistical data, including, without limitation, items set forth in the foregoing list. The
following comments elaborate upon the potential screening results.
- If Applicant(s) are fully approved, then standard deposits and fees will apply.
- If Applicant(s) are approved with conditions, then Applicants are given the option to avoid a denial by paying an additional security deposit or providing a local co-signer (a guarantor, as described above), who must
also qualify via application.
- If Applicant(s) are denied, then Applicants will be provided with the contact information for the consumer reporting agencies that provided the consumer information, if the denial was based on such information.
Applicants then have the right to dispute the accuracy of any information provided to the Owner/Agent by a screening service or credit reporting agency. If the application is denied due to unfavorable information
received during the screening process, Applicants may contact (in writing) the screening company that processed the application.
- If the property you have applied for accepts a pet the security deposit shall be increased by $400 per
pet and pet rent in the amount of $25 per month per pet will be applied to your Rental Agreement.
- If Applicants desire to bring any pet onto the premises, then Applicants must first submit verifiable proof,
from a veterinarian, that any pet over one (1) year old, has all current shots, all immunizations, is neutered or spayed, and is licensed.
- Up to two pets are allowed upon approval unless otherwise stated in ad.
- 50 Lbs. or under unless otherwise stated in ad.
- Pet Screening is required.
The Pet Screening application fee is $20 for the first pet and $15 for all additional pets.
If you have an animal (including assistance animals) please feel free to visit the link below
The following breeds are prohibited due to insurance limitations on liability:
Pit bulls and Staffordshire Terriers, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, German
Shepherds, Chows, Great Danes, Presa Canarios, Akitas, Alaskan Malamutes,
Siberian Huskies, Wolf-hybrids or any mixed breed containing any portion or characteristic of those breeds.
Some properties may be subject to the restrictions of a homeowner association.
For more details please contact our office and a property manager will happily assist you.
If you have an assistance animal, you will need to go to the animal screening website to have your assistance animals verified. Contact the leasing team for details with any other questions regarding assistance animals.
- Applicant has the right to dispute the accuracy of any information provided to the Owner/Agent by a screening service or a credit reporting agency. Owner/Agent currently uses Background Investigations, Inc.,
for the processing of screening reports.
- If approved, Applicants must submit written proof that Applicants have $100,000.00 liability coverage, pursuant to an existing renter’s liability insurance policy.
- There is a $250.00 fee per incident to add or remove a tenant during the term of your Rental Agreement/Lease Agreement.
- No smoking on interior of dwelling.